Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Tree - reposted

Last year I posted about our Thanksgiving tree and had several comments/emails in response to the idea.  As I was thinking about preparing our tree to start on November 1st, I thought I'd post the idea again for those of you who were wanting to do it this year.  There are a bajillion ways you could do this, but here's what we did last year:

................................................................................................



It's amazing how quickly my perspective changes when I take time to really look at our blooming Thanksgiving Tree.  We have SO MUCH to be thankful for!  A basket of leaves sits on the table and each morning at breakfast we each get a leaf to write on something we are thankful for.  We started on November 1st and I love seeing how full the tree is after 22 days of being focused on gratitude.  Seeing as how we usually write during breakfast, there are lots of food-related leaves!  One of my favorites being "bacon and strawberries and cereal".  But with a bit of encouragement to think beyond the present, Rooke has been pretty creative.  We let him decide what Gretchen is thankful for as well: "warm pajamas", "her bottle", "being able to walk". . . it's been a great exercise for all of us to grow our Thanksgiving Tree.

Happy Thanksgiving Week!






2 comments:

Joseph P. said...

I love the idea of the Thanksgiving tree. One of the most significant aspects of my prayer life is that of thanksgiving. Our adult education leader at church one Sunday prayed a long prayer that was composed only of thanksgivings; it changed my perspective greatly on how to approach daily life and prayer.
God Bless.
Joe

Anonymous said...

I saw Gretchen is Walking in movie, she walks so Well!
May