St. Brigid lived well over a thousand years ago in Ireland. She responded to the preaching of St. Patrick, and her legacy, like Patrick, took the gospel of Christ to the continent of Europe. The French call her Bridgette. St. Brigid inspired the first name of our third child, Bridgette Kara.
I (Ryan) actually thought of using the name long before we thought of having children. Probably more than eight years ago now. St. Brigid was introduced to me through Thomas Cahill's book, How the Irish Saved Civilization. He tells a bit of her story to illustrate how the Irish received the gospel and spread the gospel. Here is an excerpt:
Following her conversion, her father, an extremely wealthy man, was appalled to find his beautiful daughter giving away his stores to beggars. Quite out of control, he threw Brigid into the back of his chariot, screaming: "It is neither out of kinds nor honor that I take you for a ride: I am going to sell you to the King of Leinster to grind his corn." Arriving at the king's enclosure, the father "unbuckled his sword, leaving it in the chariot beside Brigid, so that-out of respect-he could approach the king unarmed." No sooner had the father gone off than a leper appeared, begging Brigid for help. Since the only thing handy was her father's sword, she gave it to him. Meanwhile, the father was making his offer to the king, who must have smelled something fishy, and insisted on meeting the girl before accepting. When king and father came out to the chariot, the father noticed immediately that his sword was missing and demanded to know where it was. When Brigid told him, "he flew into a wild rage" and began to beat her.
"Stop," cried the king, and called Brigid to him. "Why do you steal your father's property and give it away?"
"If I had power," answered Brigid, "I would steal all your royal wealth, and give it to Christ's brothers and sisters." The king quickly declined the father's kind offer because "your daughter is too good for me."
I don't know if Brigid was right or wrong to steal from her father, but her willingness to take a beating for her convictions inspires. Would that Bridgette live with such daring!
I also pushed for the name Charity-for obvious reasons, right? St. Brigid is famous for her charity and hospitality. Thomas Cahill reports this prayer associated with St. Brigid:
I should like a great lake of finest ale (yes and amen!)
For the King of kings.
I should like a table of the choicest food
For the family of heaven.
Let the ale be made from the fruits of faith,
And the food be forgiving love.
I should welcome the poor to my feast,
For they are God's children.
I should welcome the sick for my feast,
For thy are God's joy.
Let the poor sit with Jesus at the highest place,
And the sick dance with the angels.
God bless the poor,
God bless the sick,
And bless our human race.
God bless our food,
God bless our drink,
All homes, O God, embrace!
This prayer might seem unorthodox. First, I wish I could give the Lord the lake of fine ale, for he proved he prefers the choicest wine when he converted the water. Second, and most importantly, Brigid obviously loved those most unloved and disadvantaged in this world. May it not be wishful thinking that our daughter's name would serve as a reminder of our calling in Christ to be charitable and hospitable to poor and sick, both spiritually and physically.
Lastly, it was said of St. Brigid that she "did not take her mind or her attention from the Lord for the space of one hour at any time, but constantly mentioning Him and ever thinking of Him." Yes, may the same be said of Bridgette! If this is true, then beatings may be endured more easily and charity given more freely, and men will exalt the name of Christ because of Bridgette. May it be so. May it be so! Amen.


1 comment:
One thing that I love about Bridgette's name is how lovely is sounds next to Gretchen's. I love them together. "I'm Gretchen and this is my sister Bridgette." Sweetness.
(I have no clue if I'm even making sense, but I still wanted to share.)
hugs.
Post a Comment