Friday, April 19, 2013

To Germany. Alone.

Last weekend I had the privilege and blessing of traveling to Germany by myself.
Can we just take a moment to let that sink in?
I traveled alone.
You can give a big shout out to my husband at this point.
A dear family friend was getting married.  My parents, Nana, and a few friends from Oregon were going to be there.  My wonderful neighbor offered to help with the kids while Ryan was at work.  Plane tickets were cheap.  
I took off!


6:00am airport latte.  I was one of the last to board the plane.  Why not?  

On the train from the airport to downtown Dusseldorf.  An hour of pretty scenery and some reading.

I walked from the train station to the hotel, dropped off my bag, and spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the city and ducking into cafes when it rained.

We spent most of the day at the wedding on Saturday.  Julie was such a beautiful and radiant bride!

Sitting with Mom and Nana at the ceremony.

I loved the time I got to spend with my parents.  It was a nice change to feel like a daughter around them instead of a mom.


The Oregon crew!  Julie was on staff at my Dad's church when I was in high school.  The other three women were some of our first friends when my family moved to Eugene back in the day.  They've been faithful in loving our family well over the years.

Love them!

Downtown Dusseldorf on Sunday morning before heading back to the airport.

How many lattes can I drink in one weekend without being interrupted and having to reheat it later?!
I had a wonderful little break, but absence made my heart grow fonder and I was ready to see my family as I made my way back home feeling refreshed and recharged.  

4 comments:

Andy and Kaye said...

So grateful to get to share in your get away weekend. Special memories.

Aubyn McT said...

You are cute =)
So glad you could have a fun get away for yourself. You deserve it.
Love you.

Grammy Deb said...

This was such a great trip for you to take. I think all mothers who see this post feel what it's like to just relax and have no responsibilities except enjoy a time for reflection and being with parents and nana . . . oh, and of course, hot lattes. Love you ~~
Deb

Sarah said...

Flying with no kids?! I bet you backed everything you needed for the trip in your purse too!

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving mum.

love you!