Monday, November 30, 2015

Practicing the Discipline of Gratitude {November}

During the month of November, I was thankful for these things, just to name a few . . .


1.  that Jessie convinced me we should set up the trampoline while she was here for a visit.  We took it down for winter on the first, and I can't imagine having made it through the summer and Ryan's deployment without it!

2.  a collaborative Lego science project from the library!

3.  I have successfully passed on one of my least favorite morning chores

4.  my little girl found a treasure at the thrift store today!!


6.  we found a like-new copy of the only book in his current favorite series that he hasn't read (the only one the library doesn't have!).  I spent $1.50 and had an opportunity to remind my son that God is in the details of our lives.


7.  Ryan knew better than me the amount of fun our kids would have with marshmallow shooters!


8.  Our boy received good medical care and is sleeping well after breaking his collar bone while playing football with some neighbor boys.  "Sometimes you just have to dive for them, Mom".  So true.


10.  thankful for my view in the evening  

11.  on Memorial Day I am thankful for the men and women who faithfully serve our country.  And for the kind man in the background who generously gave us our lunch for free!


12.  she finally gave up the fight and took a much needed nap


13.  starting my day with this view 


14.  slow Saturdays that provide moments of soul-ratifying pleasure (we'll just forget about the cacophony of playful noise that was going on behind me!)


15.  Ryan was able to be with his family during a time of mourning over the loss of Uncle Joe.  


16.  he likes to play games with me


18.  helpful hands with a successful baking project


19.  doing my music teaching prep in the quiet studio with a warm drink instead of my usual prep that happens at home amidst the noise of life!

20.  watching and hearing them thoughtfully work through their choices on what to pack in each  box


21.  the gift of tickets to the symphony


22.  Sunday night Happy Time tradition!


23.  the contented quietness of a Thanksgiving project


24.  sharing an evening with my gingers, listening to excellent music


25.  Ryan faithfully loves and pursues our kids, all the way to bedtime


26.  the five of us together

27.  a second Thanksgiving!  Complete with homemade ice cream and learning a name-worth game


28.  the house to myself for a few hours!  My to-do list (and the vacuum) took a beating


29.  the quietness of a drive home from the library



1 comment:

Andy and Kaye said...

I am sharing your heart of gratitude this morning. I will add how thankful I am that you have been disciplined to practice this for the year. It has spread to many homes and brought thoughts of blessing and gratitude to many. . . including ME!
KayeK