Saturday, April 23, 2016

Simply Tuesday

I have been reading a book by Emily Freeman called "Simply Tuesday".  Freeman's challenge in the book is to seek out "small-moment living in our fast-moving world".  I've appreciated the reminders to embrace what often feels very ordinary and unimportant.  A few years ago, I took photos throughout one day in an effort to document what felt "normal" during that season (that post is here).  I decided to do it again.  Following with the idea of the book, I chose Tuesday.  And as it would happen, the Tuesday I decided to take photos ended up not being as "ordinary".  But the unexpected is always a part of our days, so in a sense this was still a very normal day for us!



5:00am - alarm goes off.  Ryan and I head out to the garage to do a tabata exercise routine together (usually two mornings a week).  I wouldn't do it without him.  Ugh.  These are early mornings.

6:00am - showered, dressed, and ready to pour my coffee to sit down with my Bible.  Baked oatmeal for breakfast (with another cup of coffee, please).

7:00am - Sleepy heads come out of bed.  They have clocks in their rooms and are supposed to stay in bed until 7:00.  It usually happens!  

8:00am - Ryan has left for work, breakfast is almost done, and we are ready to finish our morning jobs.

8:45am - we begin our school days with "Circle Time: a combination of singing, looking at the calendar and talking about what's coming up in the day, practicing our memory verses, reading through a rotation of books like this one, or this one, and prayer.  The extra blankets and pillows are not normally a part of our circle time, but it was an easy "yes" to give them on this particular morning.

10:00am - snack!  Math work and piano practicing are finished, and the big kids are working independently while Bridgette and I do "Mommy and Me" time.

11:00am - revisiting some math corrections, doing a language learning lesson, and finishing up the rest of our reading and school work.

12:00pm - the animals are having a tea party while I make lunch. 


1:00pm - we've eaten lunch, cleaned up, and are headed in to the gym to meet up with another homeschooling family for P.E.!

2:00pm - "Let's go, kids!".  Time to put away the skates and scooters.


3:00pm - normally we would have been back at home, wrapping up our quiet time.  But I called early in the morning to check on an appointment with the doctor for a strange rash on Bridgette's leg that won't go away.  We were able to get a 3:00 appointment.  So we ran a couple errands and then went to the doctors' office.

4:00pm - still in the office, waiting for a prescription to be filled.


5:00pm - throwing together a quick dinner while the kids watch a show.


6:00pm - The kids and I have eaten, cleaned up (mostly!), and are ready for our evening activities.  Ryan walked in the door from work just in time to grab a couple bites of food and then take Bridgette and Rooke to Rooke's basketball practice.  Gretchen and I leave at the same time to go to her music class.  Everyone out the door!

7:00pm - half-way through music class.  Gretchen is doing great!  It's a special time she and I share each week.

8:00pm - Rooke and Bridgette have showered and are just finishing up evening devotion time when Gretchen and I arrive back home.  We join them for our catechism review and then it's off to bed!

9:00pm - kids are sleeping, toys are picked up, Ryan is reading for work, and I'm enjoying a cup of tea while catching up on some emails.

10:00pm - kitchen is clean and we are headed to bed.  

10:30pm - lights out
Good night!


3 comments:

Grammy Deb said...

Whew! What a busy day. I enjoyed getting a sense of what a day is like with the Bunch of Paynes. Love you xoxo

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this! SO interesting how similar and yet different this same season looks for us. (and good for your for 5AM exercising...definitely one of the "differences"! ;)

The Heaviland Family said...

Loved it!