Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Christmas Countdown

For several years, I've wanted to do a Christmas countdown calendar.  I bought one in 2008 that I really like (in Cambridge, of all places!), but each year December would come and go and the calendar hung on the wall empty.  It just seemed an impossible task to sort out the 24 daily activities before the month began.  But this year I decided to go for it.  I made my master list of ideas and stayed one day ahead, writing the night before what we would do the following day based on our schedule and what I thought I could make work.  More often than not, I forgot to write on the candy cane or christmas tree shape and had to sneak it while preparing breakfast before one of the kids drew the countdown paper out!  It's been so much fun and a great way to make this month more special as we celebrate Christ's birth. 


1. pick out our Christmas tree


2. Decorate the tree





5. play nativity hide-n-seek - the kids loved this game!

6. make and deliver gingerbread party invitations to our neighbors

7. sing carols at the piano

8. family movie night with marshmallow popcorn (we watched A Muppet's Christmas Carol - lots of laughing out loud!)


9. make nativity characters out of salt dough


10. read our Bible story and books by the tree in pajamas before bed

11. make our own live-action nativity video

12. paint nativity characters - can you guess who only wanted to use pink and purple to paint with?!


13. host neighborhood gingerbread party - so much fun!



14. gather toys and clothes to give away

15. make Christmas cards


17. read Legend of a Candy Cane and make candy cane cookies


18. host home group Christmas party

19. take Christmas treats to our librarians

20. read The King's Christmas List and pick out a "present for Jesus"


21. Christmas party at Kaye K and Big Daddy's

22. Uncle Sean, Aunt Jessica and Phoebe are here!

23. make gingerbread waffles for dinner

24. open Christmas Eve pajamas from Grammy Deb and G-Daddy with Cousin Phoebe


December 25th is here!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!


3 comments:

Andy and Kaye said...

Amazing mommy fun. Thank you for investing in your childrens lives with the joy and festivity of Christmas season. Loved getting to share part of it with you all.
Mom

Grammy Deb said...

Angela, you're creating wonderful memories and traditions which are so important for children to have.

Andrew and Tricia said...

Of course you finally did it the Christmas you have 3 kids. Loved #19. And what present did you pick out for Jesus? (Would I get that if I'd read that book?)